cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbo...@gdesolutions.com>
Subject RE: About cordova js
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 15:10:53 GMT
On Tue Apr 1 07:27 AM, Anis KADRI wrote:
> I've been working on an alternative build system for cordova-js over the last little
> while and I finally have something to share.

Personally like this direction

> Some random thoughts for the future:
> - clobbers/merges/runs should be useless. plugins should clobber/merge if they
> want/need to. Each plugin can just be written as a commonJS module.
> - pluginloader/modulemapper will no longer used.
> - We could actually leverage NPM dependencies for javascript modules.
> Native code will still have to be resolved but this could be a big win for js-only
> platforms.
> - Since we decided to ditch everything for node, I think browserify is a step in the
> right direction.

Confused about this part, npm modules run on the server (access to the entire filesystem).
Transforming or transpiling npm modules into web things is a hack.

There's already standard web modules in the works:
https://github.com/dherman/web-modules

Cordova plugins are more like these 'web modules'. Which is why bower makes more sense than
npm as a registry.

Npm & cordova modules have the same *programming language* (javascript), not to be confused
with same *execution environment*.