cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject Hangouts Followup - API Audit / W3C Alignment & "Closing the Gap with Native Apps
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2014 18:33:22 GMT
Hi,

I wanted to follow up on the discussion about API Audit and W3C Alignment. Michael (in CC)
from MSOpenTech can help with W3C communications.

What should be the next steps on this item? Should we start looking at the core plugin APIs?
The steps could be -

  1.  First, look at cordova core and the core plugins, to identify the list W3C specifications
that are relevant. We should also look at the status of these specifications.
  2.  Prioritize the W3C specs that we care about. This would be based on popularity of the
plugin, and the status of the specifications.
  3.  Look at each specification and identify the differences between the spec and implementation.
I think we also need to decide on if it makes sense to match the implementation to the API
100%.

Marcel,

Also, since you suggested this item, can you also document "why" we are doing this, and what
is the "end goal" of this exercise?

Raw Notes copied from the hangouts -

1. API Audit / W3C Alignment & "Closing the Gap with Native Apps"

Owner: Marcel

  *   http://markmail.org/thread/yd3fnaixzw2aln7e

  *   http://www.w3.org/2013/02/mobile-web-app-state/

  *   http://www.w3.org/blog/2013/03/closing-the-gap-with-native-ap/

  *   http://www.w3.org/wiki/Closing_the_gap_with_native

  *   Notes:

  *   Lots of w3c overlap with what cordova is doing, but the plugin api's have diverged a
bit in implementations.  How do we get back on track?

  *   Plugin audit?  New plugins?

     *   Plugin audit, sounds unlikely we will find the man-hours in short term?

     *   dom@w3.org<mailto:dom@w3.org> filed a bunch of issues on JIRA, but pretty generic.
 Lets meet up to discuss concrete actions.

  *   Mobilespec type suite for conformance tests?

     *   This may be implemented at https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests

  *   PR against Vibration api.  Look at it!

  *   What if: less polyfills of specific api, instead generic native features forwarding
to js so others can write polyfills in js-only.

  *   Jesse: be more organized so that our implementation doesn't stale, and that all platforms
are all well represented.

     *   Jesse: please focus on audio.

  *   2-way communication with w3c.  Lisa from IBM has some contacts?  MS opentech also.