cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Camden <>
Subject RE: [Discuss] The Future of Ripple as a Top Level ASF Project
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 18:15:56 GMT
As just an FYI, I couldn't disagree more about your first point ("minimal value"). Now that
Ripple is working again, I find it to be *extremely* helpful for prototyping, quick testing,
and teaching as well. You mention built in emulation in Chrome, and yep, that's nice, but
consider geolocation. In Chrome, you have to enter a long/lat value (and I don't know about
you, but I don't keep those values in my head), in Ripple, you can use a much simpler map
interface to pick your location. Hell, just running deviceready for me automatically is helpful.

Maybe I'm just too passionate about it - but I really don't want to minimize the value of

Sorry - carry on. ;)
From: Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH) <>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 1:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Discuss] The Future of Ripple as a Top Level ASF Project

So, should we start the formal proposal to the Apache Foundation to move on making Ripple
a part of Cordova? I am guessing that we would need technical reasons on why that would make
sense. I could help with drafting the proposal.

- Ripple is mostly used for Cordova development. Browsers already have viewport/touch emulation
built in and the value of ripple is minimal in this space
- Ripple is very similar to other top level 'Cordova tools' like CLI, Medic, etc. Hence, it
makes sense to treat it as such and make it a part of the Cordova like the other projects.

View raw message