cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: [Input request] Rethinking Plugin docs
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:31:25 GMT
I'm more supportive of Michal's thoughts, although I understand the
practicality of Andrew's approach.

Ideal world:

  - plugins.cordova.io renders all markdown files in docs/**/*.md
  - plugins.cordova.io allows switching the language (globally across the
site, like any normal website)

Algorithm for default npm page:

  1. If exists docs/index.md
  2. If exists docs/en/index.md
  3. If exists README.md

README.md vs index.md

  - README.md (or just README) is a top-level file for projects
  - Our documentation is a mark-up language that's render to HTML files
  - Our documentation should use the naming pattern of HTML files NOT
project distribution files
  - README.md should not appear in our docs directory

Reality

  - Anis will know best, but this approach might not be do-able in the
short-term.
    - Ideally, our next doc generator could be pluggable into
plugins.cordova.io to do the heavy lifting
    - The multiple pages could be displayed as separate HTML pages or
simply the GitHub gist-style for multiple files.
  - A short-term solution may be:
    1. If only one markdown file exists in docs/**/*.md, then render it as
the npm page
    2. If multiple markdown files exist in docs/**/*.md, then render a
table of contents as the npm page (from all the files)

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:

> on plugman publish:
> if (exists docs/en/README.md) use that;
> else use README.md;
>
> ??
>
> The reason I suggest that is because I think relative links will not work
> very well if we have the EN docs at a different level than the other
> languages.
>
> -Michal
>

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
> > That's a hairy point of this change for sure. Not sure what the best
> would
> > be. Maybe treat doc/fr/README.md as based on /README.md
> > I think the majority of third-party plugins will write only README.md,
> and
> > have no doc/ at all, so having it be a special case is worth it I think.
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > How does that work with proposal for i18n?  Ideally the docs/ tree is
> > > identical in each language, so I think we want the top level docs
> > > (README.md or index.md) to be in the docs/en/ tree as well.
> > >
> > > Perhaps we leave the README.md empty and change plugman publish to
> bundle
> > > docs/en/index.md instead?
> > >
> > > Or perhaps we make README.md == docs/en/index.md always?
> > >
> > > -Michal

> > michael@michaelbrooks.ca

> > README.md

> agrieve@chromium.org