cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android Wear + Cordova
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:11:10 GMT
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Ross Gerbasi <rgerbasi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright on it ;) I am starting to think this is not the case though for
> Android Wear (the webview anyway)  As I have been reading through the
> Getting started guide here it says
>
> *Caution:* Do not install apps on the Android Wear emulator. The system
> does not support traditional Android apps and the result of running such
> apps is unpredictable.

Yeah, the emulator is stripped down for only notifications for now.
This is most likely on purpose because the Android team doesn't know
how things will work yet.

> I am starting to see that wear is simply a receiver for things (mainly
> notifications) from an App. With the ability to send a response backlike
> what button was clicked or what text to speech thingy you said. If anyone
> else has looked into this more please tell me if I am off track, but I
> believe this will be very simple to add cordova support via a plugin. We
> will simply add the wear jar library and abstract out all the "send
> notification" magic to allow javascript to send those along.

We should have a notifications plugin on Android, but I don't think it
should be core.

Honestly, we should wait until there's a real device and there's more
information.  I primarily see the value of Android Wear as a
Garmin/FitBit Killer in that this device will most likely replace your
FitBit, your GPS watch and may have a heart rate monitor.  Of course,
you need access to the device to see if you can access the
accelerometer and Heart Rate Monitor.  Right now, Google has only
exposed the ability to push notifications up to users, which IMO is
pretty meh. If you use the Beta app and enable notifications, the
notifications already get pushed up.  I was already able to launch G+
and Ingress from the emulator.

But yeah, I wish I knew people at LG and Motorola.