cordova-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 00:23:43 GMT
Okay, I just chatted with Shaz.

Since this is urgent, this is what we are thinking.
* Shaz tags iOS 3.5.0 (Monday)
* CLI cadence version will stay 3.4.0 but semver version will have a major
bump. I know we have talked about removing the cadence version, but I'd
like to give more notice to other tools who may be relying on that.
* CLI will point to 3.5.0 for iOS
* Tools release goes out Monday/Tuesday. This includes the plugman fix FFOS
desperately needs.
* Not touching docs for now

* Cordova JS is a big question mark.

If we build from master, the current build label inside the js will be
"3.5.0-dev-607ca9d". This does include the sha, so if we decide to tag it
3.5.0 later, the sha will still be able to represent the commit for the JS
when iOS was tagged.

BIG QUESTION: If we change the version to 3.5.0 from 3.5.0-dev, should we
tag the js? When other platforms are ready to tag, do we retag? do we tag
3.5.1?

The best course of action for the future is to set the build label in
cordovajs to be just the sha.

For now, I propose we just use cordova-js on master (aka
3.5.0-dev-607ca9d). We can work on modifying the build number to just the
sha for the next release.


In regards to tools, I am ready to initiate a vote thread for the tools
now. All the tests are passing and I have merged in some pull requests. I
don't think it makes a lot of sense to do it though if we are planning on
doing another one at the start of next week. So I will hold off until then.
If people have pull requests they want to get into the tools release for
next week, let me know.

Once Apachecon is over (maybe even at Apachecon), I will start implementing
some of work we have been discussing the last couple of weeks about
releasing. Andrew wrote up a great proposal of next steps at
http://markmail.org/message/76cfn4tbboqfcwxy.

-Steve




On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:

> Urgent as in -- ppl using Xcode 5.1 can't compile without mucking about a
> lot in project settings, and I mean a lot of settings. And even then they
> might not get it right. But the more urgent issue is, on 64-bit platforms,
> the current iOS code will crash because of the requirement of explicit
> casting of their low-level message sending functions.
>
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Since we haven't decided on whether to break out platforms, we should
> > probably attempt to continue with the release cadence.  How urgent is
> > the iOS update? Could it be a 3.4.x release on its own?
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@google.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I don't think I'll have time before ApacheCon to help with this. Would
> be
> > > happy if it happened, but can't contribute myself. Things should clear
> up
> > > for me post ApacheCon though, and I'll start getting back at things.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >> Should we start this now? On iOS it's painful for regular devs who
> need
> > to
> > >> keep patching things. We should get it out at least before ApacheCon I
> > >> hope.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> > That's all it does right now, but I always figured we could use it
> to
> > >> patch
> > >> > other things that aren't so hard to do.
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > >> >
> > >> > > I'm all for 3.5.0 release.
> > >> > > Andrew - I've always thought the update script just updates the
> > >> > CordovaLib?
> > >> > > I doubt it will actually patch the main projectfile for the
> > >> Architecture
> > >> > > settings (although we could do that I suppose)
> > >> > >
> > >> > >
> > >> > > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io>
wrote:
> > >> > >
> > >> > > > I think the platforms separation might have to come w/ andrew's
> > other
> > >> > > > proposal. (Or at least more discussion about how seperating
> > >> versioning
> > >> > of
> > >> > > > platforms will impact cli/plugman code.)
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > I'm always a +1 for releasing. Ideally we exercise these
new
> steps
> > >> more
> > >> > > > often so the whole thing becomes a total non event. As it
should
> > be.
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > Fun fact, we shipped 67 releases of the phonegap distribution
> last
> > >> > year.
> > >> > > No
> > >> > > > surprise we are not on track to match this year. (Yet.)
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Andrew Grieve <
> > agrieve@chromium.org
> > >> >
> > >> > > > wrote:
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > > The main reason would be for iOS Xcode 5.1 support.
Probably
> > we'd
> > >> > want
> > >> > > to
> > >> > > > > have the update project settings modified via the update
> script
> > >> (not
> > >> > > sure
> > >> > > > > if that's been handled yet).
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > I don't think we need to wait for a
> > split-up-the-platform-release
> > >> > > > proposal,
> > >> > > > > or else risk delaying too long.
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > I do think someone needs to do a one-over of our release
> process
> > >> > though
> > >> > > > now
> > >> > > > > that we're using dist/ & votes more properly.
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > I've finished moving the docs from the wiki to:
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > >
> > >> > >
> > >> >
> > >>
> >
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/cadence-release-process.md
> > >> > > > > ,
> > >> > > > > So you can use the github editor to create pull requests
to it
> > :)
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Joe Bowser <
> bowserj@gmail.com>
> > >> > wrote:
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > > NOT IT!
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > I would hold off 3.5 before we decide what we're
doing with
> > >> > > platforms.
> > >> > > > > >  I don't feel Android needs a new release yet,
but I've been
> > >> > working
> > >> > > > > > on an experimental branch for a bit, so I'm not
100% sure.
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Michal Mocny
<
> > >> mmocny@chromium.org
> > >> > >
> > >> > > > > wrote:
> > >> > > > > > > Feels like we just released 3.4!
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > We discussed this at the Hangout: Lets split
out the
> > platforms,
> > >> > and
> > >> > > > > > remove
> > >> > > > > > > Release Notes from the dist artifact, so
as to make the
> > dist/
> > >> > > > artifacts
> > >> > > > > > > easier to release/test.  Also makes it easier
to have
> > different
> > >> > > > > > individual
> > >> > > > > > > responsible for each platform.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > (We also discussed moving to semver and potentially
> shipping
> > >> > > weekly /
> > >> > > > > > > independently of each other -- but I think
we should leave
> > that
> > >> > for
> > >> > > > > > future
> > >> > > > > > > releases.)
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > Finally, we also discussed starting to use
release
> managers.
> > >>  NOT
> > >> > > IT!
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > -Michal
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Steven Gill
<
> > >> > > stevengill97@gmail.com
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > > wrote:
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > >> How are people feeling about doing a
3.5.0 release soon?
> > >> > > > > > >>
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > >
> > >> > >
> > >> >
> > >>
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message