cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [cordova-plugins/statusbar] Publishing as core
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:07:10 GMT
More on the concept of rolling into a platform ...
My distinction is that there are some things that every platform should
consider a baseline of browser functionality, and if the OS SDKs do not
provide it out of the box, then we should. Some examples of this :

1. Local XHR, Windows Phone does not support xhr when trying to access a
file:// url, I could have made this a plugin that would only be used on WP,
but I think this functionality should be intrinsic, so now it is.
2. console.log: if you create a brand new iOS cordova project, the
hello-world app gives you some boilerplate code to get started.  One thing
that new users may notice is the use of console.log in index.js, however,
they will never see the output.  Hooking conosle.log output to go to the
command-line output of a run command, or the output window of visual
studio, or xcode is the minimum functionality, and I personally think it
should be built in. This is probably best discussed in a new thread, as I
know Michal has a different opinion, because of some weinre edge case, but
this is meant to serve more as an example.

What is core?:
Core used to mean everything that we built in, now I think it means
everything that we ship,

>> Does "core" mean that it has the namespace "org.apache.cordova."?
>> Does "core" mean that it is something we will support?
>> Does "core" mean that it is something that applies to multiple platforms?

I think it means all of these things.

Back to the original subject :

I think keyboard makes the most sense in org.apache.cordova.labs, or built
right into the platform, it does not have wide enough reach to be 'core' in
my opinion.  Inclusion in the cordova-ios directly is probably a subject to
the following questions :
- how important is it? Can apps live without it?
- is there ever a reason to NOT use this?
- will it ever make sense for other platforms to implement the same APIs?

org.apache.cordova.statusbar
I think statusbar makes sense as a 'core' plugin, because it is implemented
for iOS/Android and WP7/8.  Some of the APIs are currently very iOS
specific, but that is a topic for another thread.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com