cordova-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Michal Mocny <mmo...@google.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release 3.5.0
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 01:56:56 GMT
Before I even try to grok the other questions, why can't we just tag iOS as
3.4.1?


On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Steven Gill <stevengill97@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I just chatted with Shaz.
>
> Since this is urgent, this is what we are thinking.
> * Shaz tags iOS 3.5.0 (Monday)
> * CLI cadence version will stay 3.4.0 but semver version will have a major
> bump. I know we have talked about removing the cadence version, but I'd
> like to give more notice to other tools who may be relying on that.
> * CLI will point to 3.5.0 for iOS
> * Tools release goes out Monday/Tuesday. This includes the plugman fix FFOS
> desperately needs.
> * Not touching docs for now
>
> * Cordova JS is a big question mark.
>
> If we build from master, the current build label inside the js will be
> "3.5.0-dev-607ca9d". This does include the sha, so if we decide to tag it
> 3.5.0 later, the sha will still be able to represent the commit for the JS
> when iOS was tagged.
>
> BIG QUESTION: If we change the version to 3.5.0 from 3.5.0-dev, should we
> tag the js? When other platforms are ready to tag, do we retag? do we tag
> 3.5.1?
>
> The best course of action for the future is to set the build label in
> cordovajs to be just the sha.
>
> For now, I propose we just use cordova-js on master (aka
> 3.5.0-dev-607ca9d). We can work on modifying the build number to just the
> sha for the next release.
>
>
> In regards to tools, I am ready to initiate a vote thread for the tools
> now. All the tests are passing and I have merged in some pull requests. I
> don't think it makes a lot of sense to do it though if we are planning on
> doing another one at the start of next week. So I will hold off until then.
> If people have pull requests they want to get into the tools release for
> next week, let me know.
>
> Once Apachecon is over (maybe even at Apachecon), I will start implementing
> some of work we have been discussing the last couple of weeks about
> releasing. Andrew wrote up a great proposal of next steps at
> http://markmail.org/message/76cfn4tbboqfcwxy.
>
> -Steve
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Urgent as in -- ppl using Xcode 5.1 can't compile without mucking about a
> > lot in project settings, and I mean a lot of settings. And even then they
> > might not get it right. But the more urgent issue is, on 64-bit
> platforms,
> > the current iOS code will crash because of the requirement of explicit
> > casting of their low-level message sending functions.
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Since we haven't decided on whether to break out platforms, we should
> > > probably attempt to continue with the release cadence.  How urgent is
> > > the iOS update? Could it be a 3.4.x release on its own?
> > >
> > > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@google.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > > I don't think I'll have time before ApacheCon to help with this.
> Would
> > be
> > > > happy if it happened, but can't contribute myself. Things should
> clear
> > up
> > > > for me post ApacheCon though, and I'll start getting back at things.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Should we start this now? On iOS it's painful for regular devs who
> > need
> > > to
> > > >> keep patching things. We should get it out at least before
> ApacheCon I
> > > >> hope.
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Andrew Grieve <
> agrieve@chromium.org>
> > > >> wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >> > That's all it does right now, but I always figured we could use
it
> > to
> > > >> patch
> > > >> > other things that aren't so hard to do.
> > > >> >
> > > >> >
> > > >> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > >> >
> > > >> > > I'm all for 3.5.0 release.
> > > >> > > Andrew - I've always thought the update script just updates
the
> > > >> > CordovaLib?
> > > >> > > I doubt it will actually patch the main projectfile for
the
> > > >> Architecture
> > > >> > > settings (although we could do that I suppose)
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io>
> wrote:
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > > I think the platforms separation might have to come
w/
> andrew's
> > > other
> > > >> > > > proposal. (Or at least more discussion about how seperating
> > > >> versioning
> > > >> > of
> > > >> > > > platforms will impact cli/plugman code.)
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > > > I'm always a +1 for releasing. Ideally we exercise
these new
> > steps
> > > >> more
> > > >> > > > often so the whole thing becomes a total non event.
As it
> should
> > > be.
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > > > Fun fact, we shipped 67 releases of the phonegap distribution
> > last
> > > >> > year.
> > > >> > > No
> > > >> > > > surprise we are not on track to match this year. (Yet.)
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > > > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Andrew Grieve <
> > > agrieve@chromium.org
> > > >> >
> > > >> > > > wrote:
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > > > > The main reason would be for iOS Xcode 5.1 support.
Probably
> > > we'd
> > > >> > want
> > > >> > > to
> > > >> > > > > have the update project settings modified via
the update
> > script
> > > >> (not
> > > >> > > sure
> > > >> > > > > if that's been handled yet).
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > > I don't think we need to wait for a
> > > split-up-the-platform-release
> > > >> > > > proposal,
> > > >> > > > > or else risk delaying too long.
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > > I do think someone needs to do a one-over of our
release
> > process
> > > >> > though
> > > >> > > > now
> > > >> > > > > that we're using dist/ & votes more properly.
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > > I've finished moving the docs from the wiki to:
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > >
> > > >> >
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/cadence-release-process.md
> > > >> > > > > ,
> > > >> > > > > So you can use the github editor to create pull
requests to
> it
> > > :)
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Joe Bowser <
> > bowserj@gmail.com>
> > > >> > wrote:
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > NOT IT!
> > > >> > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > I would hold off 3.5 before we decide what
we're doing
> with
> > > >> > > platforms.
> > > >> > > > > >  I don't feel Android needs a new release
yet, but I've
> been
> > > >> > working
> > > >> > > > > > on an experimental branch for a bit, so I'm
not 100% sure.
> > > >> > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Michal Mocny
<
> > > >> mmocny@chromium.org
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > > > wrote:
> > > >> > > > > > > Feels like we just released 3.4!
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > > We discussed this at the Hangout: Lets
split out the
> > > platforms,
> > > >> > and
> > > >> > > > > > remove
> > > >> > > > > > > Release Notes from the dist artifact,
so as to make the
> > > dist/
> > > >> > > > artifacts
> > > >> > > > > > > easier to release/test.  Also makes
it easier to have
> > > different
> > > >> > > > > > individual
> > > >> > > > > > > responsible for each platform.
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > > (We also discussed moving to semver
and potentially
> > shipping
> > > >> > > weekly /
> > > >> > > > > > > independently of each other -- but I
think we should
> leave
> > > that
> > > >> > for
> > > >> > > > > > future
> > > >> > > > > > > releases.)
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > > Finally, we also discussed starting
to use release
> > managers.
> > > >>  NOT
> > > >> > > IT!
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > > -Michal
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Steven
Gill <
> > > >> > > stevengill97@gmail.com
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > wrote:
> > > >> > > > > > >
> > > >> > > > > > >> How are people feeling about doing
a 3.5.0 release
> soon?
> > > >> > > > > > >>
> > > >> > > > > >
> > > >> > > > >
> > > >> > > >
> > > >> > >
> > > >> >
> > > >>
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message