cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: UX / UI: New Splash Screens & Icons
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2014 01:32:53 GMT
In an ideal world, I think every contribution whether it's a code or design should solve a
problem or make an improvement upon something. I like the new flat design of the bot myself,
but whether it's solving a problem or not will be subjective. I didn't exactly design the
bot with the "skeuomorphic" trend in mind 2 years ago (nor was I trying to be trendy at all),
but if it looks old and outdated, then perhaps this new look will be an improvement.

I will also add that the real area I think we need UX/design contribution right now is improving
the visual hierarchy on the home page. Many new sections have been added since it was originally
designed and I think it could use some makeover.

Cheers,
Yohei

From: Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:56 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: UX / UI: New Splash Screens & Icons

Not sure why we are doing this.  The splash screen and icons are intended
to be overwritten by the app developer. These are just placeholder, and
personally I think they should look like they are intended to be thrown
away, I think file-size is a bigger concern than polish. Also, if
this effort continues, we will have a disconnect between the repo app
assets and the look of http://cordova.apache.org/

Don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate having a designer jump in and
help out, however, some of this appears to be scratching designer itch ( if
that's a thing ). I am curious how much you plan to change things Sidney,
and also how we as a group can decide what we like and don't like.

I would also recommend that @yoheis be included in conversations about
changing/updating the designs he has donated.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com