cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject config.xml parsing strategy
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:32:00 GMT
Hi, adding more ppl to our discussion with @purplecabbage<https://github.com/purplecabbage>
regarding above
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/145

Working on icons and splash screen support I've encountered with the following dilemma. It
is easy to add support of the features above as part of cordova-cli: during prepare step.
But ideally (agree w/ Jesse) this needs to be handled in the platform repo, since projects
can be built outside of the cordova-cli and if the property is in the application root config.xml
it should always be valid. This should be resolved at runtime.

This makes our live more complicated since we can't apply some properties in runtime, for
example an icon which is showed before the app is even started or requires some additional
tricks/hacks.  So let's define our strategy.

1.       If some preference could be applied in Runtime, then it must be read from config.xml
and applied in runtime.

2.       If not, or requires dirty hacks (for ex: app icon or default splash screen) then
we should apply such preference during build

a)      Support as part of cordova cli build only OR

b)      Must be implemented as part of platform repo build (applied before actual build)

a.       On Windows we can use additional cordova/pre_build.bat and MSBuild Pre-Build event
so it will run automatically before every build.

Any ideas how better to resolve this? How important 2b is?

Thx!
Sergey