cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: w3c network information api shelved
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:45:03 GMT
Shazron wrote:
 > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Feb/0042.html
 >
 > our repo: https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-network-information
 >
> Good thing we never updated itŠ

Based on the quirks in the documentation, it looks like the API is mostly
useless.

³you¹re on cellular (unspecified type)² on most of the platforms.

Everyone was demanding something more specific than that, and yet none of
the OS vendors are offering it, and in reality nothing useful can be done
w/ it.

Removing it is the right things.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
> I've been encouraging w3c members to bring these issue to us and to help
>us
> work through implementation. The relationship so far has been more onus
>on
> us and that was probably not optimal for getting things done. Hopefully
>we
> see them chime in.

Brian, that isn¹t how it works. To have a specification, you have to have
real use cases, and real implementations, not toy use cases and not toy
implementations.

The forum for discussing standards is W3C. It¹s an open email list. It¹s
more responsive than the Cordova project (where pull requests often get
lost for months). And all feedback is tracked and will be addressed.

On 2/19/14, 4:05 PM, "Shazron" <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:

> From that w3c thread, I came across this w3c github org:
> https://github.com/w3c-webmob
>
> Seems they are gathering data on what's out there (including Cordova
>APIs).

Sure. If someone can come up with actual Use Cases, perhaps an API might
need to be created, but it¹s most likely the case that other APIs already
exist (Video, Streaming, WebPerf) or will be created in those areas for
80-90% of the real Use Cases, and in general specifications and software
should cover the 80-90%, not the 1%.