cordova-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CB-5974, or, Re-thinking broken-by-default (Was: Re: Plugins Release!)
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:05:36 GMT
On 5 February 2014 13:20, David Kemp <drkemp@google.com> wrote:
> -1 to merging reads. That just sounds like a horrible thing to debug.

Seems to me that developers using the plugin will have to implement
something similar in order to make it easier for their users.

Would it not be better to spend the time getting it right once, for
the benfit of all developers, rather than hoping they each get it
right?

I don't know what is involved here, so this is theoretical.
But I believe that compatibility should only be broken if necessary.
Also that fixing a problem at source is usually a lot cheaper than
requiring downstream developers/users to do so.
There are lots more of them, so any extra effort they have to expend
is multiplied many times.
In other words, the cost-benefit should not just look at the immediate
cost to the project.

> +1 to 'go big or go home'. Break it now. Break it obviously.

But I agree that breakage - if decided on - should be obvious.