cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: XML Namespaces
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:49:17 GMT
First, a brief point: We do *not* follow the widget spec, not anymore. We
were close, a long time ago, but we've added multiple Cordova-specific or
Phonegap-specific things and some slight tweaks to the meaning of some tags
and attributes. Since the widget spec is officially deprecated, I argue
that we can now stop caring about following the spec, and just decide what
configuration makes sense for Cordova.

Looking over Jonathan's "rough work" page, I generally like what I'm
seeing, except for the persistent question of what we're gaining with all
these changes. Like the JSON config files idea, I'd be happy if we were
already in that world. But the transition is sufficiently painful that
switching doesn't feel worth it; we don't gain enough to justify the pain.

However! That only applies to the configuration file reshuffling. If we
really can refactor Plugman's flows to have reversible transactions, that
would definitely make me happy. But I don't think we should conflate the
config changes and that refactoring - they're independent. We would need to
expand the metadata tracked by plugman, of course, but that's not the same
as moving all the configuration.

Braden