cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: CB-5974, or, Re-thinking broken-by-default (Was: Re: Plugins Release!)
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:37:58 GMT
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also think we should break it now. It's not as if we have never broken
> anything before... keeping backward compatibility should anyways be
> preferred but in this case I think it would cause more trouble than it
> would solve.
> I say don't write any migration tools but document the changes in
> plugin.xml (<info> tag), write a blog post about it, tweet it, Google plus
> it and... Be super loud about it.
>
> It's not like we are breaking everything for everyone either. We have
> plugin versions for a reason.

Right, this was going to be the first test of a major version bump of a
published plugin. We want this to be a step that developers need to take
deliberately, I think.

> Another way of avoiding this would have been to pick a different name for
> this plugin. Is it too late?

Not too late; it would be some work to cherry-pick the unrelated fixes from
dev, but we could do it. Maybe we should do that anyway, and maintain an
0.x line for people who won't/cant' upgrade.

Ian