cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@google.com>
Subject [Android] Apps restart instead of resume when brought to focus by clicking app icon
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:08:06 GMT
TLDR; AndroidManifest.xml <activity> needs: android:launchMode="singleTop"
-- can I add it?

Quick search brings up:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10122449/phonegap-android-application-restarting-instead-of-resuming-although-it-was-not

..which advises to add android:launchMode="singleTask" to
AndroidManifest.xml <activity>, which does fix the issue.

According to the descriptions in
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/activity-element.htmlthe
differences mostly stem in how the app handles intents, however, there
is a comment in the table of descriptions which labels singleTask
launchMode as  "(not recommended for general use)".

On the other hand, singleTop mode *is* recommended, and also fixes the
issue, and according to the description, sounds to me like a much better
default.

So, does anyone have a reason to not set android:launchMode="singleTop" in
the default cordova-android platform template?

I notice Simon commented on the above SO question, so I guess we were
already aware of the issue a while ago.  Is there a conscious reason for
not setting that launchMode by default, or did this just slip through the
cracks?  Is there a known downside?

-Michal