cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Bas Bosman" <>
Subject Re: Make cordova platform add ios work on Windows
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2014 14:20:19 GMT
I do think it's beneficial to have that option available on Windows.

As far as i know Cordova strives for feature parity across all deployment
platforms (where possible) and I don't think it's strange to extend that
feature parity to the development platform (where possible). I agree that
you need XCode to build, test and deploy an iOS app, but you don't need it
for large parts of developing the app. For that same reason I think that
the ability to do a cordova add wp8 (not build) on a Mac for example would
be a good thing to have as well.

The 'platform add' code currently doesn't actually use any of the things
checked for in check_req as far as I can tell, so there is no technical
reason not to do it. And we do allow a 'plugin add' to add iOS specific
stuff on a Windows machine.

If a group of people start developing a multi platform app using Cordova a
valid use case in my opinion would be that there is one developer who does
the initial setup. So adding the base platforms and plugins for the team
to use. Currently he has to use multiple development platforms, which he
may not have, to do so while there is a good chance he'll only be working
on the on Mac or Windows only development parts of the app after that
initial setup. Giving him the opportunity to do that all from the
environment he's familiar with seems like a nice thing to have.

Another reason I started looking into this is mobile-spec. There is a JIRA
issue (CB-5963, submitted by a core contributor) about
only working on a Mac. That script wouldn't be to hard to port over to
JavaScript to have it run on other platforms as well, but it also has a
dependency on the platform add ios stuff. I think that having something
there that works on all platforms and produces the same end result would
be a good thing as well.

And I agree with Axel, although I hadn't thought of it before, that having
similar create scripts across the platforms would be easier to maintain
and extend Cordova wide in the future.

But those are just my opinions. I didn't assign the JIRA issue to myself
yet because I wanted to have your input first. And thank you for the input
so far.

I see a lot of benefit for myself (and others) in this, but I won't start
the coding and testing effort if it isn't something that's wanted by a
majority of the group. :)

View raw message