cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML Namespaces
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 19:30:22 GMT

On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbondc@gdesolutions.com> wrote:

> IBM most likely would prefer XML for the XSD & tooling…

Not necessarily. Schema validation is nice, but XML for the sake of XML doesn't make sense.
What makes more sense is following standards where reasonably possible. But if the widget
spec is deprecated and we are making a conscious decision to abandon it, then the leaning
for XML goes away. Given the audience of web devs, and the use of json config in other places,
my preference would be for json config. However, getting there in a way that is not disruptive
to app devs and their existing apps is really important.

> Note about xml vs. json config, Cordova could support both.

Cordova could, but that seems to me like overkill. If someone really wants xml, how about
providing an xslt that translates the xml to json, so they can author in xml and Cordova could
read json. But even that sounds like overkill too.

But if the attraction of xml is schema validation, then perhaps that could be taken care of
with http://json-schema.org/