cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Voting on releases
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:30:00 GMT
On 19/02/2014 12:31, Ian Clelland wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:
>
>> It's unfortunate that there are a couple of -1's on the current release
>> VOTE thread at a time where the Cordova project is being asked to improve
>> their release processes. So as to avoid a potentially bad experience during
>> this vote I want to ensure the community is aware of the voting guidelines
>> for releases,
>>
>> Specifically I want to remind the project that a release is not subject to
>> a veto.
>

> Thanks for trying to clarify here, Ross.
>
> Does this mean that the vote thread here is absolutely binding? That is, if
> there is no visible trail on the mailing list that anyone has changed their
> minds, and after the allotted period, there are still more +1s than -1s
> (from PMC members) that the release happens regardless?

No. A release manager is free to cancel the release if they view that
the issue that triggered the -1 vote(s) is serious enough to do that.
They are also free to continue and do the release if they wish.

Generally, when I have been the release manager for Tomcat and an RC
gets a -1 vote I have cancelled the vote/release there and then as
anything serious enough to trigger a -1 release vote is normally serious
enough to cancel the release.

I'm fairly sure (although I'd have to check the archives to be sure)
that I have also proceeded to release anyway after someone votes -1 in
at least one case. Usually the justification for carrying on is some
combination of:
- the issue is not a blocker (e.g. legal , license, etc)
- the issue exists in the current stable release and no-one has
complained about it
- the release fixes an issue in the current stable release that folks
have been complaining about
- the issue is minor and can/should be treated like any other bug and
fixed (probably in the next release)

So the short version: the vote result provides the authority to release
but does not mandate that the release happens.

HTH,

Mark