cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbo...@gdesolutions.com>
Subject RE: XML Namespaces
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:55:27 GMT
On Thu Feb 13 10:49 AM, Braden Shepherdson wrote:

> except for the persistent question of what we're gaining with all these changes.
> Like the JSON config files idea, I'd be happy if we were already in that world. But
> the transition is sufficiently painful that switching doesn't feel worth it; we don't
> gain enough to justify the pain.
>
> However! That only applies to the configuration file reshuffling. If we really can
> refactor Plugman's flows to have reversible transactions, that would definitely
> make me happy. But I don't think we should conflate the config changes and that
> refactoring - they're independent. We would need to expand the metadata
> tracked by plugman, of course, but that's not the same as moving all the
> configuration.

Agree that some plugman refactoring isn't related to config changes.
But some work would involve converting plugin.xml --> project.json  (installed metadata)

I'd argue we gain a lot by doing this, there's so much IO going on to keep the installed plugin.xml
files around and reading those files.
In comparison to a single project.json, that's a big benefit.

If there's going to be code written to map xml to json, it makes sense to work on 1-1 mapping
of xml & json config files in 1 swoop.

Added a section on preferences around xml or json:
https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/config/cordova.xml

Ultimately the bit I think is important is dropping the widget spec, it's counter-productive.