cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject Windows8/WP8 Proxy and Windows Runtime Components support
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:16:24 GMT
Hi guys,

Working on WebSQL polyfill for Windows8 and WP8 platforms which will be exposed as Cordova
plugin I found out that there are PCL libraries with all required functionality. But I need
to write two different Plugin wrappers - one for WP8 on C# and another one for Windows8 on
JS. I'm wondering if we can add Plugins support written as Windows Runtime Component[1]

I imagine developers will be able to use this feature as following:

1.       Write C# library which exposes all required functionality, handles plugin arguments
and callback calls; use conditional compile directives if need access to platform specific
api; or it could be exactly the same if it is just a Cordova wrapper around another library.

2.       Compile two different versions - WP8 / W8, place them accordingly to plugin folder
structure and specify to be linked during plugin installation.

Benefits:

1.       Write once, deploy to both WP8 and Windows8.

2.       Use C# if you are more comfortable with it.

This involves the following:

1.       Support of linking libraries on WP8, Windows8. It seems Jesse is already working
on this.

2.       Windows8 proxy modification

I can do further investigation and create a prototype of other devs think this is interesting
too. Thoughts?

[1]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh779077%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Thx!
Sergey