cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: XML Namespaces
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:54:25 GMT
Andrew wrote:
> Maybe I'm crazy, but I can't stand them.

Most people can't
‎
> I don't think they add any value,

They allow other products which are frozen ("released to an audience") to interoperate in
a defined manner with your software. And vice versa.

If you don't care about that, then there isn't much reason to use XML (it's a horrible language).

For the most part, I'd say that Cordova pretty much by definition doesn't care about this.
Moving the file from www/ to www/../ broke existing software (amusingly including cordova
serve). Cordova's view is basically that people will update their tools to work with the new
version. And that's fine, but it isn't really a match for the promise of XML.

> and are a cause of confusion.

Absolutely

> So... I'd like to:
> A: Remove xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets" from our config.xml template
> B: Change xmlns:cdv="http://cordova.apache.org/ns/1.0" -> xmlns="
http://cordova.apache.org/ns/1.0"
> C: Revert the commit that enforces the namespace to exist.‎

> Does anyone hate this idea?

I'm pretty sure we (BlackBerry) will have to do some work in response to this, but that isn't
a big deal.

If you're going to depart from the file format, why not switch to JSON?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/02/06/json-debugger-visualizer-in-visual-studio-2013.aspx
even Microsoft is offering editors for it.

Is there any value that you see in Cordova using XML?‎