cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbo...@gdesolutions.com>
Subject RE: Engine confusion
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:35:26 GMT
On Tue Feb 11 11:05 AM, Braden Shepherdson wrote:
> The intention is that it allows plugins to specify that they require at least a certain
> version of the native code for each platform. This would be for things like added
> a new transport type to the bridge, as when we added binary data transmission
> on iOS and Android a year or so ago. Any plugins published that relied on it would
> specify at least that level of cordova-android and cordova-ios, whichever releases
> the changes made it into. It turns out that the native code is stable enough that
> this is hardly ever relevant.
>
> Answering your questions:
> - The cordova-plugman version returning node's version sounds like a bug.
> It should be Plugman's NPM version number so far as I know.
> - Very few. Most of the significant changes happened several versions ago; in
> most cases ">= 3.0" is sufficient.
> - Build time (more precisely, plugin install time). There are currently no
> constraints or checks for eg. what versions of Android a plugin supports.
>     - This is true even of the "cordova" one, which is actually the version of the
> `cordova` CLI tool if memory serves.

Thanks, patch is here:
https://github.com/jbondc/cordova-plugman/blob/master/src/util/default-engines.js

Seems like there should only be "cordova" and not "cordova-ios", "cordova-android", "cordova-*",
they check the same 'script' file
Maybe it was different in 2.x?

<engine name="cordova" version=">=3.0.0"/>
<engine name="cordova" version=">=3.3.0" platform="android"/>

Equivalent to:
<engine name="cordova" version=">=3.0.0"/>
<engine name="cordova-android" version=">=3.3.0" platform="android"/>