cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lisa Seacat DeLuca <>
Subject Re: NFC API at W3C
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 22:52:19 GMT

100 East Pratt St 21-2212
Baltimore, MD 21202-1009
United States

From:   Ian Clelland <>
To:     "" <>,
Date:   01/20/2014 05:42 PM
Subject:        Re: NFC API at W3C
Sent by:

Definitely a cool plugin opportunity -- I'd love to make it easy for apps
to take advantage of that kind of hardware. I don't yet see the benefit of
having it in core, though (independent of actual device support -- I'd say
this even if some future iOS device does have it built-in one day)

What does "core" mean these days? (Asking seriously; I recall having some
F2F discussion of this, but I don't know that we've ever explicitly
it out)

Is it a commitment by the community to maintain and support a plugin? Or
Apache, or Adobe, or the PMC?
It is a commitment to implement the functionality on all of our supported
Does it just mean a repository at Or a component in JIRA?
Something else? Namespaces? npm? All of the above?

I feel like "core" should imply some sort of responsibility from the PMC,
but also that it should be reserved for pieces which are either critical
Cordova, have exactly 1 possible implementation (based on a published web
standard) or else are really tricky (but important) to get right. I don't
see any reason why an NFC app (or several) couldn't be maintained outside
of the project, even if it's written by core committers.