cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <>
Subject [Android] InAppBrowser sucks and needs a re-write
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:37:02 GMT

So, after spending a bit of time with InAppBrowser, I think we should
get rid of it.  It serves almost no purpose, and it's way too complex
of a plugin for us to maintain.  However, nobody would agree with me
about shitcanning this thing, so instead I propose we re-write the
whole thing because it pretty much needs to be green-fielded.

Part of the reason is the fact that the UI is all hardcoded when it
doesn't need to be.  Now that we're moving around resources, we should
be able to move around XML layouts and use this instead of hardcoding
our UI in JS.

The other part of the reason is that I think that too many new
features got added to InAppBrowser, and I don't think anyone actually
knows how this thing is supposed to work.  Furthermore, I think that
on Android, even if you follow Android guidelines, the InAppBrowser
looks totally stupid and it screams "This is a PhoneGap App therefore
it sucks!".  If our users can tell if an app is written in Cordova, we
have failed.

Now, I'm fine with moving out the UI, but I want to know how much
people care about this stupid plugin.

Also, on another note, has anyone tried starting Chrome with
startActvitiyForResult and onActivityResult? I'd much rather have
chrome appear and have Chrome pass the results back than our stupid
half-baked browser.

I'm sure everyone has thoughts on this, so let's hear them.

View raw message