cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Axel Nennker <ignisvul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android Plugin Resource Control
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2014 17:18:42 GMT
I am not sure why you need to modify my_val at build time. Could you please
change your example so that you really need this at build time?

If you want a "product name displayed in your glass app then you could use
the <preference like in your example and fetch the value from the
activity's extras. All preferences from config.xml are passed in into your
activity as extras. Just use getStringExtra("PRODUCT_NAME") to get it and
use the value "foo" in your activity/plugin.

With this you do not need the "variable" at build time because you get it
at run time.

-Axel

You get the extras in onNewIntent and in initialize.

  @Override
  public void onNewIntent(Intent intent) {
    Log.d(TAG, "NewIntent " + getIntent());
    Bundle extras = intent.getExtras();
    if (extras != null && extras.size() > 0) {
      for (String key : extras.keySet()) {
        Log.d(TAG, "KEY=" + key);
      }
    } else {
      Log.d(TAG, "onNewIntent intent does NOT have extras");
    }
 }

public void initialize(CordovaInterface cordova, CordovaWebView webView) {

  Bundle extras = cordova.getIntent().getExtras();

}

2014/1/1 Ross Gerbasi <rgerbasi@gmail.com>

> Alrighty I can get on board with the separate xml file but I was not
> concerned about the android build system parsing the res file I am worried
> about cordova setting the res file prior to building. What would be the
> user workflow for this? Ideally it needs to be something like
>
> - run add plugin
> - add preference to config.xml
> - run build android project
> - CLI, prior to executing build, modifies RES file with preference set in
> config.xml
> - android project is built
>
> In order to do this we need some way of hooking into the build process from
> a plugin.
>
> I like Andrews idea of allowing a config file to load a variable we would
> also need a way to make this happen at build time possible via a 'build'
> flag? We could then check that resource, see if there is a matching
> element, if not add it. Something like this.
>
> plugin.xml
> <config-file target="res/values/strings.xml" parent="/*" build="true">
> <string name="my_val">{$PRODUCT_NAME}</string>
> </config-file>
>
> config.xml:
> <preference name="PRODUCT_NAME" value="foo" />
>
> Then you can combine this with Axels suggestion and just change the target
> of the config-file to glass.xml and add it as a resource at plugin add.
>

> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Axel Nennker <ignisvulpis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Every res file is parsed by the Android build system at apk build time.
> > It is a good practice to group e.g. related string resources in separate
> > files instead of munching everything into strings.xml. It doesn't matter
> > whether this is a non-cordova Android project or a cordova plugin.
> >
> > Axel
> > Am 31.12.2013 22:42 schrieb "Ross Gerbasi" <rgerbasi@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > When would this happen though? Resources seem to be applied when you
> add
> > > plugin or when you add a platform and a plugin already exists. We need
> > > allow the user a chance to edit this file. Would this resource be
> copied
> > > every build?
> > >
> > > The other issue I have with this is strings.xml is pretty standard for
> > any
> > > text in your android application, it seems a bit odd to move this
> > > elsewhere.
> > >
> > > -ross

> > need

> > of