cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Axel Nennker <ignisvul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: storage
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2014 23:34:25 GMT
Hi Brian,
we are building an applications that imports some data and stores that data
in a database.
Each imported data is between 2k and 50k but can be bigger. It is a set of
images in different sizes and resolutions and some text, integer fields.
We expect the total amount of data to exceed the limits of local storage.
We display the images and other fields based/filtered on some of fields
chosen by the user.
We decided to go for websql because it is supported on IOS and Android. Now
we want to support FirefoxOS and have to face the fact that we have to
invest many days to switch to another storage solution. Or to have
different code bases on different platforms. Which we hoped to avoid by
using Cordfova.
I am not sure whether indexeddb is the right choice for this project. But
websql is deprecated and not available on FirefoxOS.
We could go the other way too: Find a websql/sqlite extension for FFOS...

I think we will give indexeddb a shot.

Best
Axel
 On Jan 4, 2014 9:59 PM, "Brian LeRoux" <b@brian.io> wrote:

> Well, I am not here to argue semantics but I am curious about your use
> case. Right now im hearing a feature request for an API with no tangible
> story for us to rally behind.
>
> What are you writing (persisting)? How large? Does the write have to be
> transactional? Asynchronous?
>
> The API is important but indexeddb is no different than opening a file
> really.
> On Jan 4, 2014 12:46 PM, "Axel Nennker" <ignisvulpis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > File API could probably be used to implement all databases. So the answer
> > is yes anyway,  right?
> > I think that indexeddb is the currently best API for developers using
> > cordova and it is not good that they have no storage API that works on
> all
> > platforms that Cordova supports.
> >
> > -Axel
> >  Am 04.01.2014 20:48 schrieb "Brian LeRoux" <b@brian.io>:
> >
> > > File API does not satisfy your use case?

> on,
> > > on
> > > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-js#datamanager

> platform