cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: storage
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 00:01:50 GMT
Ok, thats easier for me to reason about! (Easier to explain your problem
space in the form of a use case rather than presenting us with the solution
you arrived at b/c we do not have your context.)

Anyhow, given you are reading/writing blobs (images) I'd say the File API
is absolutely the way to go. Unfortunately, FxOS Honestly, I'd write a
wrapper specific to your case and swap an adapter for the platform you are
running on. (Something like Lawnchair but modernized.)

Another path would be to implement our File API on top of one of the FxOS
options. That would be a pull request we would welcome and maintain in
core.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Axel Nennker <ignisvulpis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> we are building an applications that imports some data and stores that data
> in a database.
> Each imported data is between 2k and 50k but can be bigger. It is a set of
> images in different sizes and resolutions and some text, integer fields.
> We expect the total amount of data to exceed the limits of local storage.
> We display the images and other fields based/filtered on some of fields
> chosen by the user.
> We decided to go for websql because it is supported on IOS and Android. Now
> we want to support FirefoxOS and have to face the fact that we have to
> invest many days to switch to another storage solution. Or to have
> different code bases on different platforms. Which we hoped to avoid by
> using Cordfova.
> I am not sure whether indexeddb is the right choice for this project. But
> websql is deprecated and not available on FirefoxOS.
> We could go the other way too: Find a websql/sqlite extension for FFOS...
>
> I think we will give indexeddb a shot.
>
> Best
> Axel
>  On Jan 4, 2014 9:59 PM, "Brian LeRoux" <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
> > Well, I am not here to argue semantics but I am curious about your use
> > case. Right now im hearing a feature request for an API with no tangible
> > story for us to rally behind.
> >
> > What are you writing (persisting)? How large? Does the write have to be
> > transactional? Asynchronous?
> >
> > The API is important but indexeddb is no different than opening a file
> > really.
> > On Jan 4, 2014 12:46 PM, "Axel Nennker" <ignisvulpis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > File API could probably be used to implement all databases. So the
> answer
> > > is yes anyway,  right?
> > > I think that indexeddb is the currently best API for developers using
> > > cordova and it is not good that they have no storage API that works on
> > all
> > > platforms that Cordova supports.
> > >
> > > -Axel

> for