cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <>
Subject Re: versionName & versionCode analogues on other platforms
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:29:36 GMT
Note that the JIRA entry for this is:, which includes a pull
request for making this change for Android.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Mark Koudritsky <> wrote:

> On Android and iOS there are two different values in project config for
> setting version numbers.
> We are currently using the "version" attribute form config.xml to set
> versionName on Android and CFBundleShortVersionString on iOS. The other
> version values are not set (that is versionCode on Android and
> CFBundleVersion on iOS are not set by cordova).
> 1. What about other platforms, which of them also have two different places
> to set the version?
Definitely would like to know if this two-version concept exists on WP / FF
/ Tizen / BB.

> 2. What's is typically used for CFBundleVersion on iOS? So far I've seen it
> usually being set to the same value as CFBundleShortVersionString. Should
> cordova-cli just do that?
> 3. I want to add a single value in config.xml file that could be used to
> set the "other" versions for both Android and iOS. Does this sound
> reasonable?

I think this will depend on #1, but just from Android & iOS - Android uses
an integer and iOS uses a string. We could set them both to an integer, but
we couldn't allow a string.

Also - what should we do if no versionCode attribute is supplied?
 - for iOS we could just set both versions to the same thing
 - for Android, mapping a string to an int is not really workable, but we
could just not touch the versionCode in this case.