cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Camera does too many things!!!!
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 02:23:01 GMT
When I was last looking at Camera, I came away thinking that there are two
main things that could be done to make it nicer:

1. Don't allow the client to dictate the type of URL.

Full explanation - There are four scenarios that I think are important:
1. Pick a photo from the library (always returns content: urls)
2. Take a photo and save it to the shared SD card location (requires user
set the android permission in their manifest) (returns file:// URL)
3. Take a photo and save it to the app's private storage, still register it
with the Gallery (returns file:// URL)
4. Take a photo and save it to the app's private storage, no not register
it (returns file:// URL)

Data URLs pretty much never make sense and as of late cause OOM exceptions.
Requesting file:// URLs when the image is a content: makes us need to copy
the file needlessly (and it's impossible to know when it's safe to delete
the copy). We should just choose the URL that makes sense / is most
efficient.

2. Make image resizing a separate API call
 - Often what you want is multiple sizes anyways (thumbnail + some other
size).
 - Specifying a size means sometimes you need to make a copy & sometimes
you don't. The app then has no idea that it needs to delete the copy.

As for correcting the orientation, I don't know enough about what webviews
don't support it to know if it's important, but that does sound like it
makes sense in the plugin if it's important.