cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bond-Caron <>
Subject RE: Cordova and Crosswalk
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:04:07 GMT
On Sun Dec 8 06:13 PM, Brian LeRoux wrote:
> I like it but one small nit: we already use the term 'engine' to
> describe a
> downstream in plugins. Propose we call it 'renderer'.

Would 'runtime' be better?  Renderer might be too specific. A different 'runtime' could mean
same HTML5 rendering layer but different storage mechanism or hardware drivers.

I went through another iteration:

After some thinking about the 'browser' platform, I'd propose a 'dev' platform.
It would auto-detect the OS and just launch the browser 'runtime'.
In that sense, both the browser & ripple would be runtimes of the 'dev' platform.

For plugin authors, it would be easy to write JavaScript-only plugins by targeting the 'browser'
<plugin id="org.javascript.dialog " version="1.0.2">
   <runtime name="browser">
       <!-- javascript only plugin files -->
   </ runtime>

Each platform would have a default runtime of 'default' or 'native', all compatible with the
'browser' runtime.

Implementation wise, I'm not sure what his means for the plugin repository.
Dependency management would need to resolve which runtimes are compatible for a platform and
allow fetching those plugins.

View raw message