cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dropping iOS 5.0 support
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:01:31 GMT
I know I'm going to look like a whacko and this will probably go over like a lead balloon,
but I'll say it anyway: I'd like to see iOS 5 stay in Cordova for the next while. This is
with my customer hat on, not my Cordova developer hat on.

The reason is because our distribution has customers internationally, including Asia. In Asia
there are higher concentrations of iOS devices that aren't upgraded like other geographies,
which there becomes a significant amount of end-user devices instead of a trivial amount.
iOS 5 end users are important to app developers in Asia using our distribution - they want
to support these end users.

I'm gating this based on the following understandings, please point out any errors:
- Xcode 5 can target iOS 5.0 and 5.1
- Xcode 5 has emulators for iOS 5.0 and 5.1
- the fat binary support in Xcode 5 can generate 32-bit code that can run on iOS 5.0 and 5.1.
[1]
- there isn't code that needs to be ripped out or a bunch of conditional branches that need
to stay in especially if iOS 6 is supported, it's really a matter of test effort to cover
iOS 5.x

[1] per the Xcode release notes, it actually looks like the min target for fat binaries is
iOS 5.1.1. This pokes at least one hole in my argument if the desire is to generate only a
fat binary.

I understand the thought process around supporting iOS n and n-1. And the desire to set a
cutoff at a 5% global average usage. But Asia isn't average, and averages can hide things.
My suggestion is to align more (not entirely) with what the current Xcode supports as deployment
targets with emulators. Apple seems to keep the cutoff level in Xcode moving up. To keep balance,
I also wouldn't suggest to do something unnatural (i.e., iOS 4.3).