cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: Unicode and XML files
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 22:21:22 GMT
Braden wrote:
>As to this change, it looks fine to me as long as these BOMs aren't
>leaking
>into files that will end up on Unixy platforms; many Unix tools don't like
>BOMs.

Hrm, config.xml is something everyone usesŠ

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#charencoding

«Entities encoded in UTF-16 must and entities encoded in UTF-8 may begin
with the Byte Order Mark described in ISO/IEC 10646 or Unicode. This is an
encoding signature, not part of either the markup or the character data of
the XML document. XML processors _MUST_ be able to use this character to
differentiate between UTF-8 and UTF-16 encoded documents.»

So, given that the file in question is an xml file, and given that per
spec all XML processors _MUST_ be able to handle this character in this
position, I think that there¹s no reason not to apply it.

In general, you aren¹t supposed to `cat` two .xml files together (by the
very nature of an xml file having a single root element and a closing tag
for it, the concatenation can¹t result in a valid document).

Braden: is this sufficient for you to merge it?

and may be unlawful.