cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [android] How to remove the automatic default of <access origin="*"/>
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:02:26 GMT
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Braden Shepherdson <braden@chromium.org>wrote:

> There are two different files here: one is defaults.xml, which the CLI
> takes as the basis for its platform config.xml. The other is the config.xml
> that you get after running bin/create. In the CLI world, that second file
> is immediately overwritten by one created from defaults.xml, the top-level
> app config.xml, etc.

Okay, thats what I thought we were doing, but I cannot find where/how the
defaults.xml is created in the first place.  I see now that it does exist
in my CLI projects, but seems not to exist inside our platforms nor CLI,
nor can I find the code that generates it.

> I support the second point of removing the <access origin="*" /> from the
> CLI's hello world template app; it should be turned into a comment.

Seems this is redundant anyway given that the platforms provide this as a
default.  Regarding leaving it in as a comment: should we embed the full
spec as a comment?  If not, I would just leave a general description and
link to the spec docs online.

> I don't think we should be including <access origin="*" /> by default
> anywhere, unless we really do want to disable the whitelist on that
> platform. And if we do want to disable it, why not in the native code
> instead of allowing everything by default?

I remember about a year ago we had a bunch of talks regarding the default
whitelist, and decided that almost every developer doesn't want to use a
whitelist and wants every request to be allowed by default.  For those few
devs that want this (false?) sense of security they can learn how to
opt-in, instead of having the same question on the user lists over and over
about how to opt-out.

Changing the platforms to allow * by default is an interesting idea, but I
would rather see a solution that doesn't need that change.  Plus its a bit
less semantic/declarative aka more magical/surprising.