cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Benchmark comparison of classic webview and Chromium webview
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:03:11 GMT
TLDR before we get too excited: Js perf seems a huge win, but at the moment
html canvas is not gpu accelerated, so canvas based apps are actually not
doing so well.  This is known and high priority for chrome-webview team,
though I am not at all sure if it can be fixed in a minor patch of android
4.4.

There are several crbugs going into specific details and user complaints if
you want to read them (the comments section of the above blog post is a
good start).

If you want to have a canvas based app in 4.4 that doesn't completely suck,
be very careful which what resolution your canvas is set to, perhaps opting
to leave it in the default low-res css-pixel size mode.  This seems to be
especially biting for cordova apps right now, since they by default run
with targetSDK < 19, which leave chrome-webview in quirks mode where
target-densityDpi is still respected, and apparently our cordova hello
world templates set that wrong by default (or at least interact poorly with
the state of 4.4 webview, I haven't finished investigating that part).