cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: RELEASENOTES.md and coho
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:45:25 GMT
RE: where to download: http://cordova.apache.org/#download
(Theres a huge download button above-the-fold on cordova.io)

Personally, I like summarized release notes in blog posts, but I do agree
that committing a file that summarized git log into the same git repo is
really not useful.  And if that step is on the blocking path for releasing
a platform, perhaps that isn't right.

Andrew points out that when doing a release, you usually have to make a
mental note of what is worth testing, which usually means going through the
changelog anyway, which means it isn't really adding serious time to the
release process.  However, this shouldn't be codified into our processes,
and should be the responsibility of whoever is doing the blog post, not
whoever is doing the release, and those two aren't always the same.  So
lets remove the requirement, and I guess the RELEASNOTES.md file from the
repos?

-Michal

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think our platform release notes should be in a single blog post
> and have a single author.  I really want this out of the release process
> since I don't want to hold releases up fiddling with a markdown file for an
> hour or more.  That's the real issue.
> On 11 Dec 2013 07:11, "Andrew Grieve" <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> > I'll write them for Android if it's annoying for you. I really don't
> think
> > it's feasible for one person to make sense of all commit messages across
> > all platforms.
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> > the

> already a
> > > >

> > > I don't know why the person writing the blog post can't go off the
> > > commit logs.  This shouldn't be tied to the release, and I feel that
> > > this is unnecessary cruft that only serves a marketing purpose, and
> > > not a technical one.  Our average release has less than 50 commits, I
> > > don't really think it's appropriate to curate these commits,
> > > especially since I have a different opinion about which commits are
> > > important to curate than other people.  I really wish this was never
> > > added to our release process, and I really would like to see this file
> > > go away.

> > cruft.

> still
> 3.2.0.