cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gerbasi <rgerb...@gmail.com>
Subject Android Plugin Resource Control
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:50:30 GMT
Hello all,

I am trying to work through the best solution to this problem figured it
was smart to bring it up to everyone here. Maybe there is a way to handle
this but I haven't come across it.

This problem came up in my Google Glass plugin but I am sure other plugins
will need to handle this also.

In the strings.xml resource we need to set a "voice trigger" element which
is used to start the app when you talk to glass. There doesn't seem to be
any way to do this with code and this string would be different for ever
app out there. On top of that each voice trigger can optionally have
prompts that follow it, to get more user input. Currently I just inform the
user via documentation to go edit this xml file after they install the
plugin.

This is not good though because once they do that it is unhooked from the
plugin add/remove workflow. if they remove the plugin those xml elements
stay, and then if they add the plugin back everything starts to become a
mess.

Essentially I need a way to write to a xml resources before a user does a
build. I also need to be able to access a config file, probably config.xml,
in order to get the information to write to this resource.

I am thinking maybe we allow plugins to have hooks also? So each plugin
could have a hooks folder, which would then allow every plugin to run
before build commands. I could then open that resource, grab the element
and write the value in there before every build.

Plugins do offer the ability to get variables during add with the
--variable flag, but i found this to be a huge mess. Especially when
dealing with plugins that have dependent plugins that need variables. It
also is a problem if you install the plugin then add platform after it was
looking for variables at the wrong time. Anyway this ended up being no good
for me.

I am all for any suggestions, and I can dive into the CLI code and try to
hack together something to get it working but I would love to get some
direction. Any ideas?

-ross