cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: RELEASENOTES.md and coho
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:05:24 GMT
Michal‎ wrote:
> when doing a release, you usually have to make a
> mental note of what is worth testing, which usually means going through the
> changelog anyway, which means it isn't really adding serious time to the
> release process.

> However, this shouldn't be codified into our processes,
> and should be the responsibility of whoever is doing the blog post, not
> whoever is doing the release, and those two aren't always the same.

+1

One problem is that the release blog seems to be pro forma and hurried.

I've written release notes with blog entries. Doing them well is worthwhile.

A few things that can help:
1. Tagging issues at filing / analysis / resolution with a release note indicator (yes, no)

2. Working on the release notes before the release process finishes - you probably already
have 90% of the release fixes known a few days before d day. The last fixes can be yes/no
as they're committed.
3. It's important not to have "Fixed x; backed out fix for x". People reading release notes
don't care about the process between the previous release and now, they want a clear indication
of what has actually changed.
‎
> So lets remove the requirement, and I guess the RELEASNOTES.md file from the repos?

+1
and may be unlawful.