cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chromeview has arrived in Android 4.4!!!!
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 02:37:46 GMT
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Ian Clelland <iclelland@google.com> wrote:
> Joe -- I'm not sure what you mean -- it's definitely mentioned on
> http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html -- was there a more
> definitive docs location you were hoping for?

That's a relief.  I am pulling the KitKat source now.  (TIP: Don't do
Android Source Dev and Chromium Dev on the same box, both use repo,
but different versions)

My main fear was that only Google devices would get KitKat WebView and
that AOSP would get nothing, similar to how AOSP apparently doesn't
have a Gallery or a default SMS client anymore.  There are rumours
that AOSP no longer has a dialer, but that would be batshit insane,
since that would mean that it'd be next to impossible to make phone
calls on AOSP. :(

Also, I heard that the Galaxy Nexus wasn't getting KitKat, which makes
no sense since the story was about supporting older hardware.  No idea
what older hardware means, to be honest.  Technically my HTC One is
"Older" than the Nexus 5.

Here's an Ars Technica article bashing Google that touches on it.  I
don't know how true this is, I'm still fetching 4.4 from the
repository onto my laptop now, but I do know that there's the GApps
bundle that's only allows on Open Handset Alliance devices (GMail,
Hangouts, G+, Play Store, etc)
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

Even if you disagree with this, it's still worth the read.

Joe