cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Cordova Debug Mode
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:26:45 GMT
Accidentally didn't send this to the list:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Cordova Debug Mode
To: Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:

> What do we mean that the CLI doesn't have a way to release software?  Maybe
> not using a single command, but you certainly can with the workflow.

OK, so, just for the sake of argument, I've gone through the full
development process with the CLI and I'm looking to publish an app on
Google Play? (I'm not even going to touch iOS, because that doesn't
even work on my box) How does one do that with the CLI?  There's
nothing in this doc here:

http://docs.phonegap.com/en/3.1.0/guide_cli_index.md.html#The%20Command-line%20Interface

Nor is there anything when you type cordova and read the directions.
There's nothing here that helps the user get from done to published.
They're going to have to deal with the platform reality now, which
looks like this:
cd platforms/android
cordova/build --release
cd bin
jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore
my-release-key.keystore
my_application.apk alias_name
zipalign -v 4 your_project_name-unaligned.apk your_project_name.apk

This is assuming that you have a keystore setup, which I would say
most of our users don't have.  Right now, the CLI doesn't do ANY of
this and I don't know if the CLI should do any of this.  It might be
OK for us to assume that all builds the CLI are responsible for are
just debug mode versions.  However, to actually release a Cordova app,
it actually has to make it to an App Store of some type, since that's
where the people are and that's one of the main selling points of
Cordova in the first place.