cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: <plugins> tag, and accessing the plugin list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:26:00 GMT
Brian, as to leaking into userland, these <feature> tags are relevant to
plugin developers, since they have to define the mapping of exec names to
native files so we can load their plugins. None of this is visible to app
developers or end users.

We're not paying by the byte, or the top-level tag, in config.xml. NB that
this is the platform config.xml, the one that's a build artifact no one but
the platform code is ever supposed to look at. Why are we sweating so hard
over adding some new information into the file, and trying to shoehorn it
into existing tags? The code to handle this is simpler in Plugman and on
the platforms to have this be a separate tag, rather than mixing it in with
<feature>.

If we want to use <feature> tags for this, despite it requiring more, and
more hacky, code all around, we're going to need a good reason. I haven't
heard any reason for why using <feature> gains us anything.

Carlos, as I noted in my remixed proposal above, I originally wanted to use
cordova_plugins.js or a similar www/ file for this, but there are problems
with that. On the other hand, I would much rather add a new file that can
be loaded as a js-module than do this using hacked-up <feature> tags.

Braden

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Don Coleman <don.coleman@gmail.com> wrote:

> JavaScript only plugin implementations are valid on BlackBerry 10. Some
> things that require native code on Android can be implemented in client
> side JavaScript on BlackBerry using com.blackberry.invoke.
>

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
> > > First thing: might as well give up on referencing config.xml as a
> > standard.
> > > That's a historical footnote of little relevance anymore!
> > >
> > > It feels leaky to define the mapping in <feature>. Would seem to me
> that
> > > <feature> is a userland thing from a user perspective I want to know
> > about
> > > the ID and VERSION and the guts of what happens under the hood is none
> of
> > > business. No?
> > >

> > This is actually where the mapping happens right now, and I really
> > don't want to change this, since changing mapping would break
> > EVERYTHING.  That being said, I don't know why we can't have feature
> > tags with no *-package params.  That being said, I'm not sure what the
> > point would even be, since JS-only plugins aren't really plugins at
> > all and are just Javascript libraries.  Are there current examples of
> > this in Cordova currently?
> >

> > > On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Braden Shepherdson <
> braden@chromium.org

> > page.

> name
> this