cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Cordova Debug Mode
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:37:12 GMT
David and I were talking about this this morning, and since Joe brought it
up as well, we should probably get the list involved.

I think that there is some value in having "Debug" and "Release" builds of
Cordova projects. I don't know if the platforms have any way to do this
already, but it seems like there are a lot of behaviours that are
incredibly useful for testing and development, which shouldn't ever be
enabled in released applications.

Off the top of my head:

* All of our Console / ADB / NSLog Logging
* Enabling the remote debugger in Android 4.4+
* (maybe) disabling the network whitelist

I'm sure there are others -- we have a plugin for chrome.alarm that is
*supposed* to have a 1-minute minimum timeout, but I'd love to be able to
make that 1/4s in debug mode only.

Would it make sense to have a build flag for this? "cordova build --debug",
"cordova build --release"; something like that (bikeshed colours welcome).
I don't think that config.xml is the place for it; it seems like it should
be lower than that, but I'm not exactly sure how it should be set. There
will probably need to be platform-specific implementations, but it would be
good to have a cross-platform way of turning it on and off.

Thoughts?

Ian