cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject Windows8 and 8.1, to merge or to branch
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:39:16 GMT
New thread, with some context:

Maxime LUCE, Discussing whether the windows8 implementation 'becomes' the
8.1 implementation or not.
http://markmail.org/message/dgnijktspuhgaeyc

About Windows 8.1, do you think it's a great thing to not have both
> platforms ?
> I told to some Microsoft spoke persons last week and they said to me that
> the update of Windows 8.1 is relatively slow. So they encourage anyone
> which develop an application to develop a version for both version of their
> OS to ensure that anyone can download the app.
> If you update Windows 8 platform to be the Windows 8.1 one, Cordova's
> users will not be allowed to support both version of their app.
> I think we must provide both version (like wp7, wp8) for at least one year
> to let developers the ability to support both version of the OS.

The difference here is that wp7 devices cannot be upgraded to wp8 OS
ALL devices that currently run 8.0 are capable of running 8.1 AND it is
free.
The facebook app for example, will not run on windows8, it requires 8.1, at
some point we would do the same, and anyone who wanted to target 8.0 would
just need to use an older version of cordova to do it.

With changes to the platforms.js in cordova-cli we could potentially keep
this open for now, with the knowledge that the windows8 folder will
eventually merge with the windows8.1

I just don't want to have 2 platforms exposed to plugman, 2 parsers in
cordova-cli, 2 outputs from cordova-js and 2 versions of every file in
every plugin.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com