cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Julien Bouquillon <jul...@revolunet.com>
Subject cordova remote proxy
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:55:28 GMT
Hi there,

Ive submitted the idea a while
ago<http://markmail.org/message/cqpy7f5wqba4emed> on
the cordova ML and now that the cordova codebase is much more sane and
promises-based API are on their way we can put the subject back the
discussion table ;)

Basically, it would be very handy and timesaving for developers to be able
to call the real devices APIs right from their dev environnement (chrome
desktop for me), using a kind of "proxy".

Both @gordtanner and i have prototyped something related a bit some time
ago :
https://github.com/gtanner/ripple-companion
https://github.com/revolunet/remote-cordova

Some ideas :
 - implement a "remote" platform in cordova that would be configurable
using a custom host:post+password scheme.
 - relay requests/responses using socket.io or similar; maybe @substack
dnode project could help here.
 - create basic native apps with a webview and a "runner" that just execute
API calls and return responses.

I'm not sure if it can be done with a custom cordova "platform" only or if
this is more a ripple module.

This could allow developers to dev the whole app JS code in their desktop
directly. Only the UI will still need to be tested on real devices.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Julien Bouquillon (@revolunet)