cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: cordova serve broken
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:12:30 GMT
Just synced and cordova serve seems to work fine. Brian - are you sure it's
broken?

We just had a thread on adding "html5" as a platform. If we did this, would
"cordova serve html5" be different from ripple's server?

On serve's side - it is actually a customized static file server, since it
has a special "project.json" file that is there for app harness's needs.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:

> Ah, I'm getting the picture.  I've only ever thought of using serve for (a)
> app harness and (b) livereload on a device.  For both those I wouldn't want
> any mocking of cordova stuff at all.
>
> So what Ripple brings to the table is (c) the ability to run on unsupported
> platforms via browser.
>
> I agree we want all these options, but I'm still not necessarily sold that
> they should all be merged.  Since I'm not doing the work, I'll trust you
> all to make the right call here!
>
> -Michal
>

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
> > During the lull in Ripple's development it definitely felt risky but the
> > project has become rather active again of late. The big advantage is the
> > mocking for all the Cordova specific stuff (like deviceready).
> >
> > We do need a lightweight option for App Harness. I believe we can treat
> > Ripple as a middleware so maybe exposing this is the right way.
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Forgive the ignorance, but, why should we be depending on ripple for
> > > implementing cordova serve?
> > >
> > > One advantage I see, is that we already do want to support Ripple as a
> > > client, and I'm deducing that Ripple has a server component which
> serves
> > > files, so why reinvent the wheel, lets share code, great.
> > >
> > > One disadvantage that I see, is that Ripple (the client) is not
> > necessarily
> > > going to be used by everyone who wants to use cordova serve for e.g.
> app
> > > harness.  So, ripple seems like a heavy dependency just to serve files
> > for
> > > app harness -- does it even work on all platforms we target (windows
> > etc?).
> > >  I remember having issues in the past with depending on it.
> > >
> > > Just want to understand what it buys and what it costs us before we
> move
> > > forward.
> > >
> > > -Michal
> > >

> > > On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Bryan Higgins <bryan@bryanhiggins.net