cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: <plugins> tag, and accessing the plugin list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:44:01 GMT
I'm going to attempt to summarize in point form:

Goal:
 - Make available the list of installed plugins and their versions to
native side & JS side.
 - Needed by App Harness to know whether an app is compatible with its
bundled set of plugins.

Using cordova_plugins.js:
 - It doesn't have the information that we need
 - We could add the extra information, but not easily since the file
exports an array instead of an object.
 - This file is not currently parsed by the native layer, so having the
info here would be an extra IO on start-up.

Using config.xml:
 - It doesn't have the information that we need
 - This is always loaded by native sides, so it's a nice fit.

Using <feature>:
 - These are for defining Bridge channels
 - Plugins define 0 or more of these
 - Adding empty ones for plugins that don't define them causes exceptions
in the native layer. We'd like this change to not break older versions of
cordova.

So, although it seems like <feature> would make sense, we've already used
<feature> to mean something else (bridge channels).

I think Braden's suggestion of adding a new tag is the simplest, both
implementation-wise, as well as semantically (it has a single, well-defined
purpose). What I especially like about it, is that it separates which tags
are written by plugin devs (<feature>) from tags that are generated by
plugman (<cordova-plugin>)

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> Ok, everybody be calm. We are adults and we are capable of working through
> this in a dispassionate manner and has nothing to do with you, your code,
> or whatever. We all just want to find the best solution. Blankets
> statements like 'more hacky code' does no good. Let's just stick to factual
> stuff and stay away from subjective identification. Ok?
>
> "as to leaking into userland, these <feature> tags are relevant to plugin
> developers" ... so would this particular information belong to
> plugin.xml????
>
> Also, Joe had a good question earlier. Despite all this problem solving I
> have no idea what the actual problem is we are trying to solve. We have
> lots of solutions but what precisely do our users gain from runtime
> introspection here?
>

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Braden Shepherdson <braden@chromium.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Brian, as to leaking into userland, these <feature> tags are relevant to
> > plugin developers, since they have to define the mapping of exec names to
> > native files so we can load their plugins. None of this is visible to app
> > developers or end users.
> >
> > We're not paying by the byte, or the top-level tag, in config.xml. NB
> that
> > this is the platform config.xml, the one that's a build artifact no one
> but
> > the platform code is ever supposed to look at. Why are we sweating so
> hard
> > over adding some new information into the file, and trying to shoehorn it
> > into existing tags? The code to handle this is simpler in Plugman and on
> > the platforms to have this be a separate tag, rather than mixing it in
> with
> > <feature>.
> >
> > If we want to use <feature> tags for this, despite it requiring more, and
> > more hacky, code all around, we're going to need a good reason. I haven't
> > heard any reason for why using <feature> gains us anything.
> >
> > Carlos, as I noted in my remixed proposal above, I originally wanted to
> use
> > cordova_plugins.js or a similar www/ file for this, but there are
> problems
> > with that. On the other hand, I would much rather add a new file that can
> > be loaded as a js-module than do this using hacked-up <feature> tags.
> >
> > Braden
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Don Coleman <don.coleman@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > JavaScript only plugin implementations are valid on BlackBerry 10. Some
> > > things that require native code on Android can be implemented in client
> > > side JavaScript on BlackBerry using com.blackberry.invoke.

> [...]
Plugins
> with
> > > no
> > than

> [...]