cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Windows8 and 8.1, to merge or to branch
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:20:23 GMT
I second Jesse's observation. Unless the developer uses APIs that are specific and new in Windows
8.1, allowing the development for Windows 8 should be ideal as those apps can also be installed
on 8.1

The hope is, when most people upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, the platform can be switched.
Alternatively, if people want to use APIs that are specific to Windows 8.1, can they not be
inside plugins ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse [mailto:purplecabbage@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:39 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Windows8 and 8.1, to merge or to branch

New thread, with some context:

Maxime LUCE, Discussing whether the windows8 implementation 'becomes' the
8.1 implementation or not.
http://markmail.org/message/dgnijktspuhgaeyc

About Windows 8.1, do you think it's a great thing to not have both
> platforms ?
> I told to some Microsoft spoke persons last week and they said to me
> that the update of Windows 8.1 is relatively slow. So they encourage
> anyone which develop an application to develop a version for both
> version of their OS to ensure that anyone can download the app.
> If you update Windows 8 platform to be the Windows 8.1 one, Cordova's
> users will not be allowed to support both version of their app.
> I think we must provide both version (like wp7, wp8) for at least one
> year to let developers the ability to support both version of the OS.

The difference here is that wp7 devices cannot be upgraded to wp8 OS ALL devices that currently
run 8.0 are capable of running 8.1 AND it is free.
The facebook app for example, will not run on windows8, it requires 8.1, at some point we
would do the same, and anyone who wanted to target 8.0 would just need to use an older version
of cordova to do it.

With changes to the platforms.js in cordova-cli we could potentially keep this open for now,
with the knowledge that the windows8 folder will eventually merge with the windows8.1

I just don't want to have 2 platforms exposed to plugman, 2 parsers in cordova-cli, 2 outputs
from cordova-js and 2 versions of every file in every plugin.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com