cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Maxime LUCE <Max...@somatic.fr>
Subject RE: Windows8 and 8.1, to merge or to branch
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:58:11 GMT
I will try to explain why I think there must be two separate platforms for Windows 8 and Windows
8.1.
Sorry if some ideas are not well worded, I'm French and sometimes it's not easy !!

1. It allow those who want to use IE  11 additions like WebGL, canvas additions, or videos
to start developing their app.
I think game developers would be happy to port their WebGL games to Windows 8.1.
IE 11 changes: http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ie/bg182636(v=vs.85).aspx
WebGL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ie/bg182648(v=vs.85).aspx

2. IE 11 rendering agent is far more efficient than IE 10 one. So any app would benefit of
using "plain Windows 8.1 mode" (not IE 10 emulation).
End users would have a better experience with better animations, rendering time, javascript
speed ...
Moreover, the new snapped mode of Windows 8.1 allows apps to have any widths (in Windows 8
it was only 1/3, 2/3, full). As HTML 5 apps are generally responsive, almost any app could
profit of this and increase its end user experience. If using Windows 8 emulation mode there
is an ugly effect, with black borders on your app size (not great for UX !...).

3. Almost any app which is compatible with Windows 8 would be compatible with Windows 8.1.
So it's just a build in console for developers (using cordova-cli), it invites them to have
both version of their app for a better end user experience.

4. If you see my work (cf. 6. My work), you can notice that the addition of Windows 8.1 is
easy to create and to maintain, we can redirect almost all plugins proxies using plugin.xml.
The only things we have to provide separately is a template project (few differences), a windows81_parser,
a bootstrap, and a field in platforms.js of cordova-cli, and cordova-plugman.
I integrated an idea of a 'windows'  global merge level (like 'wp' for both Windows Phone
7 and 8).

5. If this "too much" work for you, I propose myself as additional maintainer of Windows platforms
as I have experience in that domain and I use it heavily in my apps.

6. My work :
Cordova-cli: https://github.com/Touchit/cordova-cli/tree/CB-5107
Cordova-plugman: https://github.com/Touchit/cordova-plugman/tree/CB-5107
Cordova-js: https://github.com/touchit/cordova-js/tree/CB-5108
Cordova-windows: https://github.com/Touchit/cordova-windows/tree/CB-5110
A plugin to see plugin.xml : https://github.com/Touchit/cordova-plugin-dialogs/blob/CB-5112/plugin.xml
(others in same account, same branch name)

Sorry if there is some ugly explanations...

Cordialement.
Maxime LUCE
maxime@touchit.fr
06 28 60 72 34