cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbo...@gdesolutions.com>
Subject RE: HTML 5 platform
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 13:47:45 GMT
On Wed Nov 6 01:54 AM, Darryl Pogue wrote:
> On 5 November 2013 13:37, Braden Shepherdson <braden@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Why is any development here happening outside of Cordova? Most apps
> > are going to depend on Cordova APIs too deeply to get all that far
> > with the early steps in your outline.
> >
> > Braden
>
> My approach when developing multi-platform apps is to think of the core
> cordova.js as a polyfill manager, and the plugins as polyfills for features that
> might not exist yet.
>
> To that end, I took the firefoxos platform of cordova.js from 3.1.0 and very
> slightly modified it and saved it as a "browser" platform[1]. I put the resulting
> cordova.js in my www folder so I can run it in the browser without any cordova
> prepare commands, and when I do make a build for a device, it gets overwritten
> by the platform-specific JS file.

Same approach :)  There's 3 issues for that type of workflow inside Cordova:

1) No unified cordova.js for the browser

Not sure if it makes more sense as a separate 'platform', or just a file built from cordova-js
See: http://goo.gl/fvNkmh

2) Version control is tricky

If you use 'codova create', it's a bit unclear what part of the application should be under
version control, only the www/ folder?
If you target 4 platforms, you have 4 versions of the app in the platforms/ folder.

So right now, I prefer to consider the application outside of Cordova.

 3) App layout

This is probably more specific to my case, both cli and plugman expect the layout of an app
to be:
www/cordova.js
www/cordova_plugins.js
www/plugins

Would prefer that to be configurable as for example:
www/resources/js/cordova.js
www/resources/js/cordova_plugins.js
www/resources/js/plugins

Main reason is I have additional build tools (minification etc...) that expect this layout.