cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbo...@gdesolutions.com>
Subject RE: Chromeview has arrived in Android 4.4!!!!
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:11:17 GMT
On Thu Oct 31 10:37 PM, Joe Bowser wrote:

> My main fear was that only Google devices would get KitKat WebView and that
> AOSP would get nothing, similar to how AOSP apparently doesn't have a Gallery
> or a default SMS client anymore.  There are rumours that AOSP no longer has a
> dialer, but that would be batshit insane, since that would mean that it'd be next
> to impossible to make phone calls on AOSP. :(

Chromium will eventually get rolled into Play Services:
https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/blob/kitkat-release/core/java/android/webkit/WebViewFactoryProvider.java

That seems to be confirmed:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=113088#c100

The good or bad news is WebView will eventually auto-update independent of Android releases.

Still trying to figure out how it works, does anyone know where 'com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromiumFactoryProvider
' comes from?
Is this from a built /system/framework/webviewchromium.jar ?

Main implementation seems to be here:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/chromium/+/trunk/android_webview/java/src/org/chromium/android_webview/AwContents.java