cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject [For discussion] windows8 and run/emulate commands meaning
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 03:59:11 GMT
Hi,

Cordova cli provides the following three options to execute your app from the shell:

*         run --emulator (or emulate) - to run the app on emulator

*         run --device - app will be executed on the connected device

*         run --target - same as above, but you specify particular device

Right now the only known method to programmatically start Windows Store app is to start it
locally right on your system. Windows8 platform is special since you technically build your
app right on the target platform/device. Due to this I propose to treat both run/emulate commands
for Windows8 platform as running app locally.

Motivation:

1.       People actively use both run and emulate commands so it will be great to somehow
support them both.

2.       Right now we only know how to start app locally. Not sure we will be able to implement
other options in the near future. If we find the way to support additional options we will
change run/emulate meaning later.

Thoughts?

Additional details
When you are working with Windows Store app in Visual Studio there are the following three
options to test your app

*         Local Machine - app will be run right on your local system

o   easy to automate from command prompt

o   https://github.com/sgrebnov/cordova-windows/commit/7577a589766e14c2e2674ffb5a8081a308a743be

*         Emulator - starts Windows RT emulator

o   at present time I don't have solution to do the same from command line, continue research..

*         Remote Machine - app will be run on remote machine (you should specify target machine
ip address + install special software on remote machine - VS Remote Debugging Tools)

o   looks like we won't be able to support this option in the near future since it is very
complex

Thx!
Sergey